Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Strength Test Workout: Recovery and Healing

Ok, so I know I haven't been able to work out much.  This is because during filming this weekend for my new web series, I injured my shoulder attempting to execute a move.  Check out the video below and see if you can figure out what happened:

Ow!
In case you didn't figure it out, I hurt my shoulder.  Tweaked the rotator cuff I believe.  Even still, with the injured shoulder, I forged ahead, and did a lot of cool stuff, including this:

Check out my legs!
Afterwards, I started feeling a lot of pain and discomfort, specifically when I raised my shoulder.  A lot of tension as well.  This tells me that my body was trying to protect me.  It did a very good job too, as my injury seems to have almost been healed (famous last words).
But during these past couple of days, I've had some time to reflect on what I've learned as a result of my injuries.  My first significant injury that really affected me was when I was 17, and developed chronic tendonitis in both of my shoulders from swimmers. Tendonitis is when your tendons become enflamed due to overuse or stress.  Now I've had tendonitis from track and cross country, but I asked my doctor "ok, so I'll be ok right?"  His response: "no; you will have this for the rest of your life.  If you don't keep your shoulders strong, it's going to come back."
Something in me clicked.  For the first time, I understood that I wasn't invincible.  I was human, made of flesh and bone, and that I had to take care of myself.  
I started to understand the human body more, started to explore what worked best for my body.  From dance to swimming to yoga and Reiki, I absorbed everything I could find about the human body.  It probably led to me wanting to become a personal trainer and nutritionist.  
But what I learned the most about my body is this: that our bodies are so smart.  Whether you believe in Creationism or Evolution, our bodies are designed to protect us, to keep us alive.  When we receive a cut, our body creates millions of different kinds of cells to make sure that that cut doesn't harm us further.  We have a complex survival system that, when threatened, allows us extra strength to either run away at blinding speed, or fight for those we love.
Our bodies are smart.  That's why I've been able to do the things I can do.  I know ultimately when to push my body, and when to back off.  This week, my shoulder has some inflammation; my right trapezius and neck muscles are tense from making sure my shoulder didn't dislocate; and my lattisimus dorsi is very sore.  
I've altered my shoulder rehab routine, and a friend of mine is going to help supplement my workout routine with circus/gymnastic style workouts, because these guys are insanely strong, flexible, and have fantastic endurance.  
Thanks body for protecting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment